Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lost Dreams Reawakened

I had mentioned in my bio that I had attended a private high school in Washington DC. The Lab School of Washington is a small class based school with emphasis on individuals being taught the way they learn as an individual. My obvious strength being art I was afforded the opportunity to focus on that, with one on one studio time with my art teacher as well as internships with real artists, living off of their art, as a co-op class in the afternoons. I think back to those days, when I had my first performance art piece, and was heading to college in the fall. I felt like nothing could stand in my way. Then, problems came, and hopelessness set in. I felt as though nothing could save me. I struggled with addiction for years, many of those years I never even picked up a paint brush. Having put down the substances over 4 years ago I finally feel like I'm getting a second chance to utilize all the skills I learned at Lab School and in my diverse class room and studio settings.
I know clearly my strengths and weaknesses. I know I have a difficult time with organization and time management. That's where I am not afraid to ask my friends and family for help. When I am struggling with finances, I know I can call someone and sit down to make a budget for the next month. Being an artist is so much more than just sitting and painting. There is the whole business side too. Making sure I have enough profit saved to invest back into more paints, into prints, into paying the entry fee in the next show I want to participate in. And I am still on a huge learning curve in my first year "on my own". But for me every day is amazing and I couldn't ask for anything more, this is what I have always wanted to do with my life. Ten years ago I believed I could make it as an artist, and today that lost dream has reawakened for me. I just hope my gratitude shows in my work, and can help someone else who has shared my experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Powered by Blogger.