Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Artistic Process

Artists are haunted creatures, who perform exorcisms with each brush stroke...

I heard that somewhere and I couldn't agree more. The images come without provocation, they come without reason... they scratch and scratch from underneath until they break the surface. They each have a mind of their own, and their own life expectancy. They are nameless, faceless, but not without personalities. They surface one at a time or ten at a time... Its the unpredictability that makes deadlines so challenging. Sometimes I can feel them bubbling just below the surface and I anticipate the prolific arrival, because each one becomes a religious experience, but there is nothing I can do to rush the vision.
Once the image finally shows itself, there is a panicked rush, scurrying for images... I never know exactly what I need, but I need to find it. Often times my need to find SOMETHING overpowers my better judgement and I start the painting, ill-equipped with poor preparation. But it doesn't matter. I have to "meet" what has been haunting me. I have to get it out, so I can see it for myself. It becomes an obsession... painting until 3am, forgetting to feed myself... even when I make plans with the real world, I find I am only thinking about what to do next with the painting. And then its finished..... or... is it? Yes..... mmmm just one more thing. Ok, now.... almost... there... ok now... NOW... Ok, seriously. NOW.
As if awakening from a dream, with only strange artifacts and metaphors, I analyze and wonder, and define the hieroglyphics of this strange dream in front of me. And each one has 8 interpretations that I alone could give it... which is why I love when people share with me what it means so them. Because, I am rarely certain what it means to me. Only vague fleeting glimpses of the way it makes me feel.
Lets play a game...
What does this mean to you? And do you think its done? Post your comments below... and thank you for sharing with me as I share with you.

3 comments:

Aerock said...

I interpret this piece as the moment when you realize what's been eating away at you for a long time. I think you should keep this how it is and use it as a commission piece for interested buyers.. For example, if it were me asking you to "finish it for me," I'd ask that you paint empty bottles and spills with broken glass all around the angel OR comic long boxes and stacks of issues scattered all around him. For somebody else, maybe it'd be crates of records and turntables or a mirror in front of the the angel with a reflection of a grotesque being and a smorgasbord of food all around. You following what I commented or is it still too abstract?

DEArtworks said...

That's a great idea, Aerock. And thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Seems to me like she has hit her knees and now outside forces have come in to put a little life back into those wings. The wings look like they may have been closed an now that electric force is beginning to open them back up. -Kathleen

Powered by Blogger.